Tuesday 8 April 2014

Indecision, be gone! I’m taking the PR path…



I have always been rather indecisive about the path I want to take in life. I insist that this is simply a large spectrum of ambitions and aspirations, and what’s wrong with that? I have considered and dipped my toes into many different career pools, from dancing and performing arts, to interior design. I even contemplated construction management, before finally settling upon the study of Public Relations and Communications here at Leeds Metropolitan University.



My experience of the course so far has been good, but that’s not to say that it hasn’t had its up and downs along the way. As I’m sure is common for most students, there are elements of the course that I much prefer than others, and there are days I have to fight with that indecisive part of me that still second guesses my choice. 

However, contradictory to this, there are many days, more often than not, that I am 100% sure I am exactly where I am meant to be right now, doing exactly what I’m meant to be doing.

One of these days was last week, when myself and a few other PR students from the university, delivered a presentation based on the course and our experience of the industry so far, to a group of year 10’s (14-15-year-olds) as part of a taster day. The group consisted of Jenna and I, first year students, and Chloe and Wei Ni, third year students. Together, we were able to fill the session with a range of different outlooks and experiences. 

As aspiring practitioners, we felt very passionate about delivering a concise and impactful presentation, and to represent the course and industry as best as possible. 

It was clear to us from the beginning of the presentation that the majority of the students were unfamiliar with public relations and its role in society. It was great to be the first to enlighten the students on this aspect of business and to see them get excited about an industry that prior to the taster session, they had very little knowledge of. 

During the presentation we discussed the growing relevance of social media, the desirable skills of a PR practitioner and the different sectors that the industry can open doors to. As a final activity in order to lightly test the attention paid by the students throughout the presentation, we asked them to create a small campaign for Cadbury, intended for Twitter. 

The students were really receptive to the entire session, and really enthusiastic about the activity to which they contributed hugely. We got some great discussion going and they really embraced the whole experience. 

It felt great to be a part of inspiring young students who will soon be making decisions that will determine the direction their life takes. Whilst this was the main objective, I actually came away feeling hugely re-motivated, re-inspired and re-energised about the course myself.
The experience overall opened my eyes to just how far I have come since my first day last September, and was a great chance to reflect on my journey so far and to learn of those of my fellow PR students. I was glued to what they had to say, and it was just as enlightening for me as it was the year 10s that the presentation was intended for. And to silence the indecision in me, learning of other experiences of the course has made me realise just how much the industry can be tailored to each individual’s passions and interests.

I am very thankful that I took up the opportunity to present the taster session as it’s given me a new lease of life for the course, and made me hungry to succeed! I am very excited to see where the course will take me…if only I could narrow it down just slightly…

This post was written by Mollie Robinson, a first year Public Relations and Communications student.
@Mollie0305

No comments:

Post a Comment