Tuesday 25 February 2014

A bloggers life

I started reading blogs on fashion and beauty around 4 years ago, and after becoming hopelessly addicted to the personal, genuine nature of them in comparison to magazines, I finally decided to start my own a year later. I’ve now been blogging for around three years, and follow hundreds of blogs on food, lifestyle, PR and more. Whilst at first it felt like I was putting myself out there in front of the whole world, I’m now so glad I started and couldn't imagine life without my blog.







Whilst I don’t blog about PR matters, the benefits I've gained from my blog have been massive – I've been to events such as the opening of Trinity Kitchen and an ASOS event down in London, and made loads of contacts from PR’s who've been in touch. I've also been given an inside look at how bloggers can play a part in PR campaigns – something that’s becoming more and more important with social media, and crucial knowledge for when I graduate and begin my working life.

My blog has also proved key in getting me my last few placements, from an agency to an in-house beauty role – all have said how impressed they were that I consistently worked on it, and by the skills it shows. It showcases my writing skills, creativity and also a true passion by continuing to dedicate my time to blogging my interests. It’s a way for potential employers to really get a feel for your personality, and become much more visible online.

Blogging isn’t always fun and games, however. It can take time to build up a post, from brainstorming an idea, to taking any photos I might need, to actually having the time to sit down and write a post (tricky to fit in around writing a dissertation – although that is also on blogging so I’m never really off duty!) It can also be frustrating trying to build up a following, and with comments on the decline it can sometimes feel like you’re talking to no one.

So what advice would I give to people wanting to start up a blog?

Blog about something you’re interested in. If you’re not interested in the subject then it will show, and you’ll be much more likely to quit in the long run. There are blogs on every subject imaginable, so just pick your interest and go for it.

Make the most of social media. Use it to connect with people with similar interests and to get your blog out there. Make sure you’re on every platform including instagram and twitter and push your content out there, but also share the work of others. No-one likes too much self-promotion!

Create a series of posts. Having a series that your readers know will be published on a specific day will keep them coming back, and also give you something to fall back on when inspiration is running low.

Drafts are your friend. When you have some spare time write up a couple of posts and keep them as a draft. If life becomes too much then you’ll always have something to put up, and won’t end up with a post that you’ve rushed out in two minutes flat.


Final year PR student, lifestyle PR intern, Blogger. Fashion and food enthusiast.



No comments:

Post a Comment