Monday 24 February 2014

On Placement – What I’ve Learned

I’ve been on placement with Harrogate-based Different PR since October 2012, typically in the office one day per week during term-time and full-time over the summer as well as the odd week here and there.

I feel I’ve learned an awful lot working at Different, the fact that it’s a small agency has been a real benefit I think. Because it’s relatively small I know the team and how they work very well, and unlike placements at larger agencies where smaller, more menial tasks can be the norm, I've been allowed to spend the vast majority of my time there really contributing to the work the company does for its clients.


It’s given me a great variety of clients to work on across many different sectors and industries and the content and releases I've put together for these clients has really allowed me to develop my writing – something I was very keen to do since the start of the course.

I think the atypically long time I've spent with the agency has helped too. Spending almost 18 months at the company has, as I said earlier, allowed me to work on a wide variety of accounts, but because of the time I've spent there I have learned exactly what each individual clients’ wants and needs are and have been able to see how our work has been following and continuously developing a long-term strategy for these brands.

Not only that but as I've spent more time there I've been given greater responsibilities; being able to attend and actively contribute at client meetings, develop proposals for new business, speak at events and I am regularly asked for my opinion on what we are and what I think we should be doing.

I've really enjoyed my time with Different so far – David and Richard have given me a great opportunity right at the very start of my PR career and the lessons I am learning in working alongside them will be instrumental in my progression through the industry.



This post was written by Matt Silver - A second year Public Relations and Communications student, Course Representative, Student Council Member (Strategy, Marketing and Communications School Representative) and Leeds Marrow volunteer.
@NetherleyPR

No comments:

Post a Comment