Tuesday 25 February 2014

Studying Public Relations in England compared to Malaysia

I came to England to complete my final year of degree education at Leeds Metropolitan University.  Studying here is different in comparison to in Malaysia. The PR industry in Malaysia is not as matured and established like it is over here. PR in Malaysia is mainly focusing on event management.  PR is not seen as a profession, like over here, people do not know what PR people actually do, but the perception and awareness of the functions of PR are improving.
When I was studying in Malaysia, I had a very hectic timetable with lectures and tutorials.  Our curriculum was mainly theories from textbooks, I have to say, it was dull and had very little stimulation.  I enjoy the ways of learning here; the tutorial sessions are very interactive, these methods of teaching encourage students to engage and to build rapport with tutors.


Before coming to England, I was part of the “One Love Charity Project” for one of Malaysia’s top non-profit organisations.  Throughout this project I was the Marketing Team Leader, this is something I’m very proud of.
In my opinion, the English learning style is more flexible, and one’s success relies on self-discipline and self-enrichment.  Leeds Met’s PR course has given me the opportunities to gain hands-on experience, which has prepared me for a career in PR.  
I’m aiming to improve my communication and writing skills during my time here.  I’ve been fortunate enough to gain a placement at Different PR in Harrogate.  I have improved my writing skills by having to conduct research, read articles, writing case studies and press releases.  I have written many press releases and gain real understanding of the do’s and don’ts in press release writing.  My development in this area has led to my work being published in the newspapers.
Although my teaching in Malaysia is in English, I still have had to overcome the language barrier as I found it hard to understand my classmates here due to the various accents. But I believe it is getting better now.
My experience in these two environments has enabled me to develop a range of skills in different areas, such as writing, communicating, presenting and managing. I believe that the knowledge and experience I acquired during my time in England would help to make positive contributions to the PR industry in Malaysia when I return as a practitioner.  I hope I will be given more opportunities to learn and to be challenged prior to returning home in August. This is in order to fulfill my job excitement and lighten up my life experience.

Ong Wei Ni, a Malaysian furthering her studies in England since September 10, 2013. 21 years old. Completed the Diploma in Public Relations course at Tunku Abdul Rahman University College in Malaysia.@weiniong

No comments:

Post a Comment