Tuesday 25 March 2014

Agency VS In-House Experience


The chances are you’re probably going to get a lot of experience throughout your degree. I have undertaken placements and a year-long internship with various Leeds agencies throughout my time at university. Sorry to reiterate everything that’s always being preached, but it really is true – experience is invaluable to help you succeed in your degree and PR career.

Despite having a lot of experience under my belt, one thing I regret is not having undertaken a placement with an in-house PR department. I have always wondered how each experience compares and how they differ in developing an entry level practitioner’s skills.

This week I asked a number of course friends to comment on what their respective in-house/agency experience taught them. Adding to the comments, you’ll learn why I love agency work later in this article…


In-House
Rachel Barkley
“I spent my placement year working in a communications department for the UK headquarters of an international organisation. The thing I most liked about working in-house was being able to get an in-depth understanding of the industry, business environment and the way the organisation operates. I had the opportunity to work on a number of projects across the business, and working in-house lets you see the outcomes of each activity which is great.”

Sean Ball:
“Working for a multinational brand allowed me to understand how important the role of strategic communication is within an organisation. However it's vital aspiring communicators gain experience of working both in-house and in agencies to understand the pressures that both sides of the industry face.”

Charlotte Pittock-Holdsworth
"Working in-house enabled me to gain a great deal of responsibility early on and develop strategic skills as I was briefing and managing an agency to deliver a project from day one in my job. I feel that I learnt great managerial skills in this role and may not have been given this level of responsibility within an agency role."

Agency Experience:
Beth Armstrong:
“I was lucky enough to carry out my placement year at the award winning, Manifest Communications in Leeds. For me this confirmed that agency life is definitely for me. I learnt so much throughout my year at Manifest and it really will help to kick start your career by gaining experience within a fast paced agency environment. I was able to work with many clients in various sectors which really helped me to familiarise myself with both B2B and B2C media as well as enhancing my writing styles. In a nutshell working for an agency is exciting, hard work and no day is ever the same.”

Lizzy Mallett
“I undertook a year's placement with a small PR agency in Sussex called, Wildwood PR, with clients in the building and technology industries. The main benefits which I experienced from working within an agency would be the ability to juggle a variety of clients across various industry sectors. This allowed me to improve my versatility as a PR professional, as I am now able to recognize when various clients are in need of different communications methods and which are appropriate for certain campaigns. It also enabled me to build up a broad knowledge of the publications and journalists working across the industries. Dealing with a multitude of clients at one time can mean that one is better able to understand how to work with a range of people within business, therefore better gage someone's character and quickly decide the most effective ways of working out what the client wants and needs.”


Why I Love Agency Work

1. A range of clients
I’m never stuck to just one client, one set of values, one set of key messages and markets. I love the fact that I can play around with different products, services and media; changing and developing my skills in each. I’ve also found that working within different markets allows me to identify marketing and PR opportunities for other clients which I wouldn’t have previously thought of.

2.Work diversity
Liaising with different media and client contacts means I’m personally never bored! I probably speak to about 30-40 different journalists a week within a variety of press including consumer, nationals, trade, regional and business. Having a good relationship with a journalist can really help when introducing them to new/ other clients. Furthermore, working on different jobs with different lead times and different people makes it all challenging yet enjoyable.

3. Objective view
I’ve heard that there’s a common opinion of agency practitioners – that they’re unbiased; they see the market from outside the box and they don’t become absorbed in the company’s politics. From my experience, I totally agree with this perception. Working externally means I don’t get carried away with unrealistic ideas that aren’t fit for the company. However regular contact with the client ensures we have a mutual understanding and are working towards the same goals.

Having an objective view of the market makes it easier to see how things will be perceived by the public and the media. Having your feet on the ground and not having the constant thought of “the readers of [publication] will LOVE this!!” if they really won’t, is a great asset to have. Only do something if you have thought it through from every angle and you subsequently believe in it.
On the other hand, when you bring something new to the table and encourage a fresh approach to something, it’s also amazing to receive recognition from your boss and the client!

4. Experiment with different ideas
At work we’re all encouraged to email round the office and tweet about interesting campaigns. Everybody gets involved with brainstorms and each one has a different brief and focus. Sometimes the best campaign ideas come from a random brainstorm instead of a formal meeting in the boardroom!

5. Admin heavy
Ok, yes – admin is boring! But it’s good practice and I get so much more done in the long run if I do all my admin properly. There are so many things I’d probably forget if I didn’t have to file and report it back to the client. Doing WiPs and PR activity reports actually helps to keep track of on-going activity and progression with tasks. Being accountable to a client who is monitoring your performance puts the pressure on to deliver, to have answers and be timely!

What are your thoughts? Do you prefer one over the other or think they complement each other?

This post was written by final year PR with Marketing student, Bryony Czujko. Bryony has experience with five Leeds-based PR agencies, spanning consumer, B2B, traditional and social media. She is currently an Account Executive at The Right Agency.

No comments:

Post a Comment