Tuesday 18 March 2014

You’re the new tea boy

So it’s the first day of your placement at the PR agency that are willing to take you on as a first year student, you start to question what to wear, how to do your hair, am I good enough to be there, what happens if they don’t like me, what should I do?


Image sourced from Google
On my first day of placement I was due to start at 10am, so obviously trying to make a good impression I arrived early, however my day had already started four hours earlier. Setting my alarm for 6am I spent two and a half hours getting ready and styling my hair. Not knowing what to expect I opted to wear a blazer and shirt combination with chinos and desert boots. Looking back at it now I was slightly overdressed.


On arrival I was introduced to the staff who were all very friendly, but before I had the chance to be shown to my desk I was asked to go and buy milk for the kitchen (immediately “you’re the new tea boy” rushed through my head) and with just a smile I was on my way to the nearest shop to get milk.


After returning with the milk I was finally shown to my desk where I was to write a press release for one of the biggest clients the agency represents.  Trying to remember everything I had learned in my Writing for Communications module my mind drew blank. “Pull yourself together, you can do this” is what I told myself repeatedly and that’s what I did. Two hours later and three attempts at writing a press release about the Autumn/Winter collection, I had finished my first professional press release. 


Within a couple of hours of writing my first release, I had written another two for the same client (this time without having to make amendments). I also had time to engage with fellow PR practitioners and the directors of the company.  As the day came to an end one of the senior staff approached me and asked if I was willing to come back next week, as they were impressed with my work ethic and ability. I was overwhelmed with excitement and my smile was beaming from ear to ear.


As the weeks passed I felt my confidence come on leaps and bounds, with more responsibility being passed onto me. As a result of this I was very pleased that the agency had shown trust in me. It also gave me that extra drive to succeed and to show them they hadn’t made a mistake in allowing me to flourish within my assigned role.

I currently work with an online clothing company: writing press releases, dealing with customer enquiries, covering all forms of social media, liaising with journalists and future brand ambassadors as well as finding new projects for the company to get involved with.  


Without the support and help I have received from my placements and my tutors, I would most certainly not have developed my skills as a PR practitioner but also as a person.

Andrew Leach, first year Public Relations and Communications student
Twitter: @AndrewLeachPR

No comments:

Post a Comment