Tuesday 11 March 2014

For The People Who Voted Poppy

Students With Disabilities Officer 2014/15

This year’s student union elections were a thrill from start on finish. Two weeks of non-stop campaigning gives you a buzz that only competition brings. Everything that I stood for while I was running was of huge significance to me and to have people validate my passion for change was an amazing feeling.

Throughout my whole campaign I kept it personal. Creating more opportunities in sport for people with disabilities has been something that I really wanted to do. Ever since I found athletics at the age of 12 and my eyes were opened to the world of Paralympic sport, I never looked back. I have made it my mission to induce the feeling of joy and achievement that sport has brought me into the lives of others with disabilities.

The second strand of my campaign was a review of the transport needs for students with disabilities. When I first came to Leeds Metropolitan University I brought with me crutches and would be believe it a Zimmer frame, it’s safe to say that I had a fresher’s week like no other. My situation meant that I had only one option when I came to getting around - taxis. As you can imagine this cost me a fortune. My experiences have made me determined to make more accessible modes of transport available for students with disabilities here at Leeds Met.

The last strand of my campaign while running for disability officer came as a result of being driven up the wall in my attempt to get the support I am rightful entitled to. I do not want this happening to hundreds of other students before something is done about it. I want action now.

So at four o’clock on Thursday 27th February nothing more was to be done. What will be will be - the voting was official closed.

Seven o’clock. We are live, no turning back. I am called to the make shift green room to hear the result. This is it, all or nothing. The valid votes cast totalled 622 meaning that 312 students must vote Poppy in order for me to be named the new disability officer of the students union.

I received 346 votes winning by almost 100 votes.

I called my acting skills to the stage with me to present a perfect poker face as the election results were shared with the waiting audience. As soon as the secret was out I was smiling from ear to ear as I thanked all my voters for their support and was guided to the winner sofa to be further congratulated by the night’s Tess and Bruce (sorry for the strictly reference).

I remember being asked so many questions about how I was feeling about my success but the only thing I remember saying was that my dad would be very proud of me because he ran for student elections when he was a student. I could not have planned it any better. He was watching the action unfold live.

I am so excited to start this new challenge in September I can really make a difference to people’s lives and university experience.


Thank you to everybody for voting.   

This post was written by Poppy Howell, a first year student and course representative and newly elected students with disabilities officer for Leeds Metropolitan University's Student Union.

No comments:

Post a Comment